Whether you’re having a bird issue at home or at work, it’s certainly not something that should be ignored. When pest birds decide to make themselves at home, they can be quite difficult to get rid of. As birds congregate in large groups, they can be a major turnoff to customers and employees, and the messes they leave behind are certainly far from pleasant. Here is everything you need to know about how to get rid of birds on your roof once and for all.
Do Your Research
Before you make any rash decisions, do some research and read up on local protection laws. Many species of birds are not to be harmed so be sure you don’t do anything illegal. Also, research what birds are in your area and find out what kind is nesting or causing a nuisance. From there, you can start planning which method of removal is best for you.
Bird Removal Methods
Depending on where you are located, different bird control methods may be more effective. Here are some common removal methods that could help you be rid of those pesky birds.
- Trapping – Using a trap and some food is a great way to catch birds trapped inside your roof. Just be sure you know what to do with them once you catch them!
- Decoys – Placing fake predators, like owls and hawks, on your roof is a clever way to trick birds into staying away.
- Destroy The Nest – If birds are flocking to your home, there might be a nest somewhere either on or inside your roof or chimney. If you remove it, those birds will soon be in search of a new home.
- Ultrasonics – Using high-pitched sounds have been known to work. Although blasting loud sounds might have a negative effect on surrounding businesses and people nearby.
Best Methods For Preventing Birds From Coming Back
So let’s say you finally get the birds to leave. How do you stop them from coming back? This step is just as important as getting rid of them. So take some time to determine a plan of action. In order to get rid of birds on your roof as well as prevent them from returning, here are some of the most effective methods to try:
- Netting – Block off the birds completely from any roof with netting. Just be careful when hanging it!
- Perch-Repellant Gel – This special gel feels sticky and tacky to birds and is usually applied to ledges so birds feel uncomfortable and fly away.
- Anti-Roosting Strips/Bird Spikes – These strips are often put on ledges of commercial buildings. They contain small metal pins that deter birds from landing on your roof.
- Bird Repellent Spray – To keep birds away from your roof for good, your best bet is to apply a non-toxic bird repellent spray that is mild enough to use around people.
Bird Repellent: The Best Way To Get Birds Off Your Roof And Keep Them Away
Your best shot at ending your bird problems is a bird repellent spray. It’s not loud like ultrasonic devices or visible like decoys and it’s also far more effective! When applied consistently, bird repellent is the best method for sending those pest birds in search of a new home. Although many repellents may be effective, not all are created equal. It’s important to find one that is right for commercial business use and won’t impose a threat to customers and employees nearby.