- Things to know before you grow
- Tips to care for strawberry plants
- How to store to enjoy all year
Instead of going to the store and paying for overpriced and subpar strawberries, why not grow your own? A warm summer day doesn’t get any better than when you bite into a fresh, homegrown strawberry. They’re relatively easy to grow and don’t require any special equipment. Here are some things you should know before you start growing your strawberries.
Know Before You Plant
Before you even put the plants in the ground, you need to make sure of a few things first. Strawberries, however easy to grow, need some specific settings. A few rules to follow for your strawberry plants include:
- Buy from a reputable nursery
- Plant as soon as the ground can be worked in
- Make holes deep and wide enough for the roots
- Strawberries require 6 to 10 hours of sunlight per day
- Plant in a well-drained area, and much more!
How To Care For Your Strawberries
Strawberries are fairly easy to maintain. They just need some TLC to keep growing all season long. Keep in mind that while your strawberries need ample water, don’t over do it. Stick with about an inch a week. Make sure to also weed frequently so that nothing harms your plants. If it’s the first year for your strawberries, make sure to pick off the blossoms to help them develop healthier roots.
Taking Care of Your Strawberries
When you finally start growing those delicious strawberries, you’ll want to know how to take care of them so you can eat them year-round. Here’s what you should know when planning to harvest and store your strawberries:
- They are ready to be harvested four to six weeks after blooming
- Only harvest the fully red berries; pick every three days
- Don’t pull them off the plant; cut them at the stem
- Strawberries will last three to five days in the refrigerator, and two months in the freezer
- Use a bird repellent to keep the birds away
Protect Your Strawberries From Pesky Birds
With all the work you put into growing your strawberries, you don’t want them to be bothered by pest birds. Avian Control is EPA-registered and gentle enough to use around strawberry plants. At Avian Enterprises, our products repel birds without harming your garden. Shop now or contact us at 888.868.1982 to learn more.