- Barn swallows head south for the winter
- Track swallows throughout their yearly migration
- Numerous factors can change swallow migration patterns
Does your barn seem unusually quiet during the colder months? Without their loud chirping and messy droppings, you may forget about the problems these pest birds can cause in your barn. Find out where all the barn swallows go during the winter with Avian Enterprises.
Barn Swallows Fly South For The Winter
In search of warm weather, insects and other food sources, barn swallows fly south as soon as the weather begins to cool. Birds typically fly to Central America but have been known to make it all the way to South America. Telephone lines show tell-tale signs of barn swallow migration. Swallows often stop to rest on phone lines during their travels.
RELATED: Get Rid of Barn Swallows For Good
A Yearly Cycle of Barn Swallow Migration
Following an annual cycle, barn swallows live in different locations during certain times of the year. While this cycle does not perfectly define where swallows will be during specific months, it provides a rough estimate of where you can expect to see them:
- April – September: Barn swallows migrate to North America in early spring. As late fall approaches, birds begin their travels south.
- October – March: Swallows spend the winter months in warmer climates throughout Central and South America. When the weather begins to warm in northern regions, birds head back to the United States and Canada.
What Can Affects Barn Swallow Migration Patterns?
The migration patterns of barn swallows can change depending on certain conditions. Climate change, deforestation and problems at stopover sites are just a few factors that can impact how barn swallows travel. Although these factors can influence migration patterns, swallows will still follow similar paths throughout the year.
It’s Never Too Early To Prepare with Avian Enterprises
While barn swallows may be gone for now, it is never too early to begin preparations for their inevitable return. Avoid the problems barn swallows can cause by getting prepared with Avian Enterprises. Our product, Avian Fog Force, protects your barn with a programmable, time-release repellent spray, perfect to keep these pest birds away. Stock up now or contact us at 888.868.1982 for more information.